It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Keeping the books

After last night's adventures with setting up my employee stock purchase plan website login, plus today's issues with my own 401k website, I've come to the realization that we have a lot of online accounts that play a pretty significant role in our financial lives. And I'm the only one who knows all the websites, logins, magic incantations, etc.

I really need to get this stuff centralized and documented. Which means writing down passwords, which I loathe the idea of. So, I'll have to record them all, then encrypt that file so that really only one password is needed. I'm not even sure how many it'll end up being - probably close to two dozen, I'm guessing.

2 Comments:

  • I use a program called password wallet for this. exists for Mac and PalmOS, not sure what other platforms. works well.

    I've got probably 45 or 50 entries....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 10:01 PM  

  • I've seen similar programs for years. I'm not sure how much of an advantage they have over a simple text file or spreadsheet, encrypted. What if the program doesn't work on a newer OS, or I can't find a copy to download if I accidentally delete my copy?

    By Blogger dakboy, at 2/26/2006 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home