It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Is 1280x800 enough?

The long-awaited MacBook was released today, the replacement for the 12" PowerBook and the iBook line. I've been waiting for this as it's the only way I'll be able to satisfy my MacLust and desire for a laptop all in one shot without having to skip a mortgage payment.

The display is 13.3", and the native resolution is 1280x800. I have some serious concerns as to whether that'll be enough. Not just for me - for lots of other people too. 1280 wide is great - both my home and work LCDs run that natively. But at 800 pixels, you're giving up 204 or 20% of the height. That's nothing to take lightly.

Sure, the external video can go up to 1920x1200, and at home I'm sure I'd have my current LCD plugged in to take advantage of that (with, of course, the $19 mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and a DVI cable), but on the road...will 800 pixels be enough?

I can't buy for a few months anyway, fortunately. But if I'm going to be doing photo & video editing on whatever laptop I get, maybe I need to go Pro, or (ugh) Windows?

2 Comments:

  • For what it's worth, my girlfriend recently bought a 15" MacBook Pro, and it's an excellent machine. She runs at 1440 x 900, and to tell you the truth, it's not bad at all. My 20" Apple CinemaDisplay runs at 1680 x 1050, so she's nearly got me covered, and she's only got 15"! My drummer bought the 17" MBP and it shares the same resolution as my Cinema Display. It's insane.

    Anyway, the best thing to do is obviously to go to the Apple Store and play with one. You'll quickly figure out whether or not you can handle the lower resolution...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2006 3:34 PM  

  • I've been in the local Apple Store a few times, but I always feel like I'm being watched and I shouldn't be "playing." I know that's why the machines are there, but it still feels uncomfortable.

    From what I've been reading about the MacBook, I think the MBP may be a better fit for me. Video seems to be lacking on the MB, and I'm expecting to be doing a lot of video editing in 2007 and beyond.

    It'd be really nice if I could set my current computer to the same resolution to see if I can work within those dimensions. I know OS X and Windows XP use screen space differently, but it'll be a start.

    By Blogger dakboy, at 6/16/2006 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home