It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The price of being cheap

A couple weeks ago, I was down to my last Gilette Mach 3 Turbo razor cartridge and it was getting pretty dull (I usually get about a week out of one). These things cost $8-$10 per 4-pack - pretty expensive. We were in Wal-Mart shopping that evening and the price was on the high end. But I needed new blades.

Then I saw their "Persona" branded 3-blade razors. Refills were about half the price of Gillette, and the handle plus 2 blades was about $5. So I thought I'd give them a shot. What a horrible decision. The razors were terrible. They did a bad job and they were incredibly uncomfortable.

I suffered my 2 weeks, as I wanted to give them a chance (any change requires an adjustment period) and didn't want to pay for an "overlapping" set of cartridges (buy more that aren't compatible with the current handle, while I still have usable ones left). Now I'm back to the Gilettes. That comfort and performance is worth the extra $4/month. And my face thanks me for it.

OTOH, the "King of Shaves" shaving gel that Wal-Mart sells does do a nice job.

2 Comments:

  • I've mentioned on the board before... try Sam's Club or Costco. They have 16pks that cost less per blade than the normal retailers. Thus you can get 16 weeks worth before having to re-stock! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 3:29 PM  

  • We have no Costco out here, and the way I was treated the one time I stepped into Sam's Club just to look around and see what they offered, I don't plan on going back.

    We still have to get around to getting a BJ's membership, they may have better pricing than regular retail.

    By Blogger dakboy, at 5/23/2006 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home