It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bulk isn't always better

We've been using a lot of mulch. More last year than this, at least so far, but still quite a bit. Every time I went out to the local CountryMax and plunked down my $11.something for 3 bags, I kept thinking "I should just get a cubic yard delivered to the house and be done with it. It's got to be cheaper."

Turns out...not so much. Most places that deliver require a minimum of 2 cubic yards to be delivered. That's far more than I need. What if we borrow a pickup? Well, then we can get the mulch we're using for about $33 per yard, but we have to use it all right away or chip away at the pile in the driveway.

9 bags of mulch is 1 cubic yard. About $36 when all is said and done. Compared to $33 for a "bulk" yard. The $3 is well worth it to me, to get the convenience of bags. I can buy what I need, when I need it, and manage it easily. No mess in the driveway, no endless wheelbarrow trips to the backyard, and I can throw it all in the back of my car.

2 Comments:

  • Mulch in this area goes for $2-4 a bag...we tend go with the cypress (no float) mulch...termites do not like it and they are a big enemy here in Tejas.

    Smart move shopping around.

    By Blogger Enos Straitt, at 5/25/2007 9:13 AM  

  • We use Cedar, dyed red. Per bag it's about $3.39 but if you buy in quantities of 3 there's a break, putting it under $3/bag.

    By Blogger dakboy, at 5/25/2007 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home