It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Sign-on stupidity

I own some of my employer's stock, purchased through our employee stock purchase plan. Money comes out of my paycheck post-tax, and goes into shares of the company once a month. There's an "investor services" website which I can log onto to check out my account, buy more stock, sell some, etc. Nice & convenient.

I also learned, about a year ago, that my position is one which the company decided is worthy of receiving options on an annual basis. Very cool indeed. I wasn't aware of this when I took the job, but I'll gladly accept. When I got my notice last month for this year's grant, the letter stated I could go on the investor services website to acknowledge it. So I logged on, but couldn't find where to do the acknowledgment. I emailed the service address, and they responded saying "we can't do anything to help you till you email us with your company code and account number."

Yeah, right. Like I'm going to send something like that via plaintext email. Why don't more financial companies make it easy/possible to email them using GPG, or just put a "contact us" form on their website instead?

Anyway, tonight I was clearing part of my desk and found information from last fall about the program which I had carelessly set aside. It turns out that there's a different section of the same site for my options program! With a different ID/password combo to sign on with.

Same institution, same employer, same employee. Can someone explain to me why I can't have a single view of everything behind one ID & password? It's asinine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home