It's more than a house. It's an adventure.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

So antique I'm back in fashion

The Albany Times Union ran an AP story last week about the resurgence of the reel mower. Turns out that with our antique mower, we're actually ahead of the coming mower rennaisance.

Kogan and Skalinder said that, considering their yards are the size of apartment bedrooms, power mowers didn't seem necessary.

"I felt a gas-powered (mower) was a little over the top for my needs," said Skalinder, adding he didn't want to use the kind of screaming power mower that keeps him awake when he's trying to nap.

Sums it up nicely. We don't have a lot of area to mow, and between the cost of a gas mower, the maintenance, the fuel, the size (we don't have a big garage to store it in) and the noise, I don't want a gas mower. Plus, a reel mower is healthier for the grass - and me.

Our local Lowe's can't keep the mowers in stock this year, they're flying off the shelves.

3 Comments:

  • Reel mowers make a ton of sense for smaller yards. It's amazing how the technology hasn't improved in centuries. You'd think they would be able to improve it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/06/2007 12:17 AM  

  • In what ways does it need improving?

    My 80 year old mower is much different from ones you can buy today. But it works great. The only thing it lacks is a height adjustment.

    "Technology" doesn't mean that something can, or should, be improved.

    By Blogger dakboy, at 6/06/2007 7:36 AM  

  • I'm a bit disturbed by the image of reel mowers "flying off the shelves". It makes me think of the movie "Carrie".


    for me, all the houses I've lived in have very large yards. I think I'd like to get an electric mower - I do loathe the sheer amount of noise with gas-powered mowers.

    By Blogger Hasufin, at 7/26/2007 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home